Wednesday, let’s kick it with some lentils!
Lentils are a big thing when you’re a vegetarian (as it’s our main protein source). For non vegetarians it can sometimes be hard to know how to cook them (as there are so many kinds and ways of cooking them), but keep calm, I’ll give you some guidance. I can promise you that these will be popular for your stomach, sense of tastes and friends over for dinner!
Recipe (8 big burgers)
- 1,5 dl red lentils (to be found at immigrant shops)
- 1-2 potatoes
- A handful of sunflower seeds
- 3 dl of water
- Salt & pepper
Recipe (4 portions of carrots)
- 4 big carrots
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- The juice and peel from a lemon
My tip number one is to wash the lentils very well. Red lentils (as for this recipe) are instant lentils. Many kinds have to be put in water over night. Not these ones. Put the red lentils in a strainer and wash them first in super hot water and then super cold water. Washing them well is the key to avoid a bloated stomach and a happy dinner experience.
1. Wash the lentils and boil them in 3 dl of water with half a vegetable stock until tender, about 8 minutes
2. Peel and shred potato
3. Add in the Maizena flour (corn flour – 2 tablespoons) to make the lentils stick more together like a dough
4. Add inn the shredded potato, sunflower seeds, dill and some salt and pepper
5. Form the sticky dough into small balls and fry them on low heat in some Cocosa or olive oil
6. As you fry the burgers; slice the carrots in two and boil them in salt water (2 tablespoons of salt) for about 4 minutes. You want the outside tender but the core to stay hard
7. Strain the water from the carrots and let butter melt over the hot carrots. Sprinkle some lemon water and shred some of it’s peel on top and decorate with some fresh herbs (dill)
Enjoy your dinner and remember; it’s soon weekend!